This recipe is, by far, the most often-requested recipe we receive. It's easy, SO easy, and it's one of those excellent Lazy Dude ideas that allows you to throw a couple items together and look like you really know what you're doing. Impressive and convenient, a lovely combination.
Alex keeps a large container or two of this mixture in the fridge all summer long, and just keeps plunking new marinated eggplant slices into the oily goodness. We put these on sandwiches, salads and pasta.
- Slice the eggplant longways.
- Place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil (enough so it won't stick). Season lightly with paprika and salt.
- Put baking sheet in an oven heated to 475 degrees, until the fruits turn black along the edges.
- In a nonporous container, layer the eggplant with fresh basil and other assorted herbs, alternating layer cake style until the container is full. (The main herbs we use are fennel seed, oregano and occasionally thyme. McFarmer wants it known that his style can change according to his mood. You should follow suit.)
- Pour in olive oil & balsamic vinegar over the layers until everything is covered. Typically, the ratio is 3/4 oil to 1/4 vinegar.
- Wait at least 24 hours before eating, and then enjoy licking your fingers long after these beauties are gone! AND don't forget, the oil mixture can be reused again and again with new batches of roasted eggplant, so keep it going all summer long!