Benefits of Yard Birds
Keeping chickens at your home is not only the best source of the freshest, healthiest and most delicious eggs you'll ever have, but most people find they are easy to care for and a delightful addition to your daily world. The advantages to backyard chickens are numerous, from providing a reliable food source to offering endless opportunities to learn about nature.
Plus, a cocktail hour spent watching the chickens is never a dull moment--take it from us.
What's So great about keeping chickens?
- Compared to store-bought eggs, backyard eggs have:*
- 1/3 less cholesterol
- ¼ less saturated fat
- 2/3 more vitamin A
- 2 times more Omega-3
- 3x more vitamin E
- 7x more beta carotene
- 4-6x more vitamin D
- They make great pets!
- their minimal required care & genial nature makes them suitable for younger children learning responsibility and stewardship
- companionable relationships are built between the hens and their humans over time--your hens learn to love you & can easily become part of the family
- They fertilize, aerate and control pests in your lawn or home garden
- a hen's innate behavior is to scratch and peck the ground, searching for bugs and weeds to eat--they are a natural fit for the home gardener
- the chickens act as natural composters, able to consume a majority of your daily kitchen waste--and you'll love watching them appreciate your daily donations!
- Chickens are the perfect teaching tool!
- their place in the food chain provides an insider's look at where our food comes from
- ideal for homeschoolers and other families looking for multi-faceted, real-life curriculum
*based on a study by Mother Earth News, 2007